Button Battery Safety Tips

  • Keep button batteries and their devices out of the sight and reach of small children. Never leave batteries unattended or their compartments exposed.
  • Keep child safety in mind when you are changing button batteries; examine devices to make sure that the battery compartment is secure.
  • Safely dispose of used button batteries immediately, using a secure container. Even flat batteries can be dangerous if they are swallowed.
  • If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately call the Poisons Information Centre (Australia) on 13 11 26, or call the relevant number in your country.
  • As a matter of urgency, you should take the child to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink anything and do not induce vomiting.
  • It is helpful to inform other families about the risks to small children associated with button batteries and how to keep their children safe.